2018 Running Quest With Apple Watch!
When I started "RunQuest 2018" I knew it was going to have the Apple Watch involved in every step. I have been an everyday Watch user since it was released in 2015. Since the beginning, I used the fitness tracking capabilities, but it wasn't until this year that I took a serious vow to take fitness seriously in my life. At the beginning of 2018, I set a goal for myself to run a total of 250 miles over the course of the year. Five months in and I am going strong, sitting right at about 120 miles (almost halfway!).
The Apple Watch Series 3 is the first version that I feel is genuinely standalone. It has allowed me to break the death grip I have had on my iPhone when leaving the house. The applications I use on my watch have mostly been the same since January, but I will update things as I go through the year. Mostly this is an easy way to answer the question some people have; "what do you even use your Apple Watch for?"
The Watch I have been using since January is the Apple Watch Series 3 w/cellular in gold.
Here are the apps I use specifically related to running and exercise
- Activity: keeping an eye on my Move, Activity, and Stand rings.
- Heart Rate: checking real-time heart rate, activity heart rate, and recovery.
- Lose It!: tracking food.
- Messages: staying in contact while away from my phone.
- Music: gotta have the beats!
- Outcast: listening to podcasts on longer runs.
- Periodic Timer: stretching and weights.
- Phone: in case of emergency.
- WaterMinder: tracking your fluid intake.
- Weather: is today an inside or outside kind of day?
- Workout: tracking all my workouts in Apple Health.
All The Apps!